Hello Loves, thank you for being patient! The purpose of your natural hair regimen is to groom and nuture your hair and there are things you should know when creating your regimen and buying products.
1. Pre-shampoo treatments is used to add moisture to the hair. This is done before shampooing with harsh shampoos , i prefer home made shampoo with my black soap, harsh shampoos strip the hair of its’ moisture.
Pre-poo Treatment Recipe
• ¼ cup of avocado
• 2 tbsp of melted shea butter
• 1 to 2 capfuls of olive oil
Directions: Mix all contents in a bowl. On wet or damp hair, pour oil mixture over hair. Cover hair with plastic cap for about 10 minutes. This is done before washing or starting another treatment.
2. Scalp Cleansing .if you are a naturalista that has dandruff, please don’t skip this. It involves cleansing the scalp and cleansing the hair of old product (clarifying). It is critical to clean the scalp to rid it of environmental toxins and product build-up.
These toxins and build-up smother the scalp. This prevents the natural hair fa to secrete.
Also, blocked hair follicles can cause a host of other scalp related issues and problems.
Clarifying shampoos or cleansers strip the hair. This striping is almost to the point that the hair can “sing” or squeak.
It gives the hair the ability to start over with a “clean” slate, so to speak.
Clarifying the hair before introducing a new product is the same as starting with a fresh canvas when you are painting. It gives you a starting point to determine the performance of the product on clean hair.
3. Protein Conditioners (home made)– Mild protein help to moisturize and add strength to the hair strands.
Healthy hair strands should be pliable and strong. They shouldn’t be too stretchy ( a sign that you need protein). They also shouldn’t be too stiff ( a sign that you need moisture).
This is where the moisture-protein balance comes in. If you find that your hair is more elastic (stretchy) than normal, your strands may need protein.
Protein Conditioner Recipe
• 2 medium egg whites
• 1/2 cup of plain Yogurt
• Coconut Milk Cream
• 1 cupful of olive oil
Directions: Mix all contents in a bowl. On clean wet or damp hair, pour mixture over your hair and cover your hair with a plastic cap for about 15 minutes. Rinse with room temp water, not hot water. You don’t want to cook the egg whites do you? Deep conditioning is a MUST after a protein treatment. Protein treatments should be done on an as needed basis.
4. Deep conditioning is needed especially after the hair has been stripped using harsh ingredients or after a reconstructing protein treatment.
Being a naturalista, I guess you know different types of hair treatment and should also know the one that best suits your kinda hair.
I have been able to put down treatments for natural hair and its recipes.
This is one of the types of deep conditioning treatment
Deep Conditioning Recipe for achieving soft hair
• 1 medium avocado
• Coconut Milk
• bananas – if you use whole bananas, puree those bad puppies like your life depends on it! If it is chunky on your finger, it will be chunky in your hair.
5. Sealing your hair strands with oil or butter should be done to “trap” in the moisture from the water and deep moisturizing conditioner. Remember that when your hair is wet, it is 100% moisturized. I like to use 100% shea butter.
Sealing the hair should be done with every wash. Remember that a lot of products have dual purposes and can be doubled up instead of buying two products.
Rinse the hair with cool water. This will close the hair cuticle, which helps to reflect light providing shiny hair.